Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Home of the Bean and the Cod....

Compared to many cities in the world, Boston is a relative youngster. On the other hand, here in the United States, Boston can be considered positively elderly. And just as it's hard to imagine our grandparents as young people, it can be hard for current residents and visitors to imagine the Boston of the past - the city that was there before what we see around us now.

This site is an extension of my local history blogs: Remember Jamaica Plain and Stony Brook: Gone But Not Forgotten. This effort will be less comprehensive. but will follow a similar pattern. That is, there will be little or no pattern to the entries. They will come as I develop them, and they will follow my interests and whims. This will not be a history lesson, but more an impressionistic look at the city as people of the past would have recognized it. If I can get the reader to say 'Hmmm... that's interesting!' then I'm doing my job.


And this is good old Boston
The home of the bean and the cod
Where the Lowells talk only to the Cabots
And the Cabots talk only to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment