Boston Opera House - Postcard.
Opera House outlined in red. YMCA building shown to the right and across Huntington avenue.
The Boston Opera House opened in 1909. Funded by Eben Jordan Jr - who also paid for the New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall - and designed by architects Wheelright and Haven, the building stood on Huntington avenue. Apparently, opera lovers in Boston had over-reached, because in 1915, the opera company went bankrupt. Visiting opera companies used the venue, as well as other musical and theatrical acts - even prize fights were held there! By 1958, the building was considered unsafe, and was torn down - with difficulty - to be replaced by Northeastern's Speare Hall. And this explains why the short street that runs between Huntington avenue and St Stephen street beside Speare Hall is named Opera place.