Boston College postcard.
Boston College, 1895. The T-shaped building is the school (click on map for larger image).
After some starts and stops, Boston College opened in the South End in 1859. Initially, the school was both a high school and college. The Immaculate Conception Church was built to the left of the school at the same time. After one more interruption, the school was chartered by the legislature in 1863, and reopened the next year. In time, the school outgrew it's location, and land was purchased for a new campus on the Newton-Boston border. Building began there in 1909, and proceeded for many years. The high school, now a separate institution, stayed in the South End until the 1940s, when it, too, outgrew the site, and a move was made to Morrissey boulevard.
Both the church and the school building are still on Harrison avenue. The school is now housing.